Reckitt Benckiser plc is an Anglo-Dutch multinational company that entered the Indian market in 1911, and went on to become an inevitable part of the everyday Indian life Headquartered in Slough, Berkshire, this multinational consumer goods company has stretched its expertise to a diversified section of consumer goods. Some of the prominent ones are Dettol (the world's largest selling antiseptic), Strepsils (the world's largest selling antiseptic), Strepsils (the world's largest -selling sore throat medicine), Veet (the world's largest selling depilatory brand), Air Wick (the world's second-largest selling air freshener), Calgon, Clearasil, Cillit Bang, Durex, Lysol, and Vanish.
RB has operations in around 60 countries and their products are sold in around 200 countries.
As an organization that constantly innovates and improves, Reckitt Benckiser wanted to leverage the power of cloud technology to host its application environment in the cloud, to consolidate its IT application and maintenancefunctions and to standardize processes across IT. This involved all the infrastructure components that constituted the Private Cloud solution for Reckitt Benckiser, including Compute (CPU, memory, storage for every virtual and physical host), Network, and Firewall.
The company wanted to host its application on a highly available cloud and improve its customer experience. They wanted to employ innovative technology to reduce the time to market and reallocate resources to core areas of expertise.
Sify, India's leader and pioneer in ICT, proposed its private cloud architecture built on virtualized Managed Dedicated Servers (MDS) for applications and other services while the database servers were hosted on physical servers.
The Managed Hosting Services offered a primary DC site and DR site at Tier III + Sify' s Data Centres (accredited with IS027001, ISO 9001:2008 and CMMI Level V certifications) along with access to a Tier -1 IP network and state-of-the-art physical and logical security measures. This enabled RB to select configurable standardized components to address specific business needs while ensuring complete privacy, control and management.
Second component of Sify solution included DR as a Service (DRaaS) which combined four essential components to enable Recovery as a Service:
- Best in class data and application protection
- Comprehensive P2V and V2V recovery engine
- A provisioning manager that automates provisioning of recovery for virtual machines and associated storage
- DR management and reporting portal
Sify ensured that the customer server (physical or virtual) would be protected seamlessly and recovered almost instantaneously as a virtual machine in the cloud. Also, Sify bundled P2V with backup and remote replication in order to provide true application -consistent data availability and block -level continuous data protection with application awareness.
Sify DRaaS enabled effective, economical, scalable and easy to deploy RaaS based on CDP technology. Sify DRaaS leveraged next generation recovery technologies such as:
- Disk-based recovery
- Application snapshot API integration
- Asynchronous replication
- Application awareness
- WAN optimization
In addition, Sify also provisioned VPDC - Tier III Virtual Private Data Center for DC and DR that provided a standard architecture for hosting enterprise class applications on the cloud. It is a very common pattern for most web applications and web services, and sufficient for most general scenarios. Policy control separates each tierand second layer firewall provides additional security. This added security also enabled regulatory and governance compliance.
From compute to network, physical to virtual, all areas of RB solution were backed by 24x7x365 Managed Services to provide highest levels of technical expertise, which included:
- Managed Services for Operating System
- Virtual Machines Management
- Active Directory Management
- Virtualization Management
- Network and Security Device Management
- Disaster Recovery Management
- DR Drill Project Management and Execution
- Global Load Balancing: Setting up traffic routing across 2 sites (PR - DR site)
To ensure the secure access of the application, Sify also provided an MPLS VPN solution, along with Direct Internet Access, Replication Link P2P connectivity between DC and DR and Backup solution that provided backup service with daily differential, weekly full and 30 days retention policy along with Managed Firewalls.
- Enterprise Cloud Services for seamless integration of infra structure to ensure operational resiliency and high availability.
- 24X7X365 management and monitoring of virtualized and physical infrastructure.
- Ability to meet technical and regulatory requirements while ensuring privacy.
- Scalability to meet future growth plans and IT demands
- Database administration to deliver an optimal database environment as per the required service availability.
- Ability to undertake non -disruptive DR drills.